Prep & Cooking Time: 25-30 mins
Type: Main Meal
Tools: Large pot, colander, chopping board, sharp knife, food processor, silicone spatula, small frying pan, mixing bowl, salad tongs
Notes: This recipe contains: Vitamin A, B-vitamins, Vitamins C, E & K, carbohydrates, protein, fibre, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, omega 3, is low in added salt and sugars and (per serving) is low in saturated fats.
Looking for a fresh, creamy and very satisfying pasta dish? Well we’re happy to say that this avocado pesto pasta ticks all the boxes! It’s tasty, nutritious and you can see from our list of ingredients, it’s also really easy to prepare! For the super keen, make the pesto the night before and have dinner on the table in less than twenty-five minutes!
Happy cooking everyone!
150g Dried GF Spaghetti
8g Garlic Clove
Lemon Zest and Juice (1/2 a lemon)
120g Ripe Avocado Pear (small variety)
40g Fresh Basil
60g Cherry Tomatoes
10ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1g Garlic Powder
2g Dried Onion Powder
Salt and Ground Black Pepper
Need an easy-print recipe? Print here. 🙂
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain.
In the meantime, prepare the other ingredients. Peel and thinly slice the garlic. Wash the lemon, grate some zest and then juice it. Slice the avocado into two halves, remove and discard the stone and then peel it. Wash, dry and then chop the large stems off the basil. Wash, remove the stems and then chop the tomatoes into halves (or smaller if you prefer).
Assemble The Pesto!
1. Place the garlic, lemon juice, 2 tsp oil and ¼ cup water into a food processor. Blend until the garlic is ‘blitzed’.
2. Add the avocado, basil (save a few leaves for garnishing if you like), and the garlic and onion powder. Season it with some salt and ground black pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy. Use a spatula to scrape the mixture from the sides and the lid.
Add half the quantity of the zest. Blend until combined. Taste and season it as necessary. Use a silicone spatula to scrape down the container and lid again.
1. Heat a small non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the nuts. Dry-fry until lightly toasted.
2. Remove the pan from the heat. Transfer the nuts onto a chopping board. Allow to cool slightly. Roughly chop into small pieces.Tip: You can skip this step, but toasting the walnuts will really help to bring out their flavour!
1. Place the pasta into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the avocado ‘pesto’ sauce.
3. Use salad tongs to gently mix and coat the pasta in the sauce.
Serve warm. Transfer the pasta into a lipped plate (use a spatula to scrape any sauce left in the bowl). Sprinkle over the remaining zest (as much as desired!). Garnish by scattering over the nuts, any reserved basil (if using) and the tomatoes.
- Substitute the spaghetti for another variety of pasta; try fettuccine or linguine.
- Try making/using ‘courgetti pasta’ for another GF variety (if you have the time, resources and want to be creative of course)!
- Try putting this sauce on wholemeal pasta or gnocchi perhaps (if you’re not concerned about gluten).
- Experiment with your herbs; parsley or coriander would work well.
- For an even more authentic ‘pesto’ taste, add some fortified nutritional yeast to the sauce for that ‘cheesy’ element and added nutritional value!
- Try garnishing the dish with another type of tomato or maybe some grilled sweet red peppers or baby mushrooms instead!