Prep & Cooking: 15 mins
This is probably one of the quickest recipes you’ll find on our blog (…yet anyway)! No fuss- it’s easily thrown together; perfect for when your short on time or when your fridge and cupboards are looking rather empty!
Just a few simple and classic flavours (and yes, more chickpeas!)… and you’ll create a fantastic little pasta dish! If garlic purée isn’t your thing (well, fresh is always best!), then you could gently fry some fresh (and minced) garlic for 1-2 mins instead orrrr… replace the extra virgin olive oil with a garlic infused one! We love having garlic purée (on occasion), as it gives a really intense and enjoyable flavour! A heads up for anyone not preparing their legumes and pulses from scratch- you’ll need just over a tin of processed chickpeas. 🙂
- This meal contains at least 3 portions towards your ‘5 A Day’! #legumelove
170g Dried Penne (GF or otherwise; we used wholemeal)
300g Cooked chickpeas
10g Curly parsley
200g Salad tomatoes
6g Garlic paste (a lower-salt version)
15ml Extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Black pepper
1. Cook the pasta according to the the packet instructions.
2. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the chickpeas (if applicable; we used our slow cooker ones!). Place them into the pasta pot 4 mins before the end of cooking; drain everything into a large colander.
3. Wash/soak the parsley, remove the leaves from the stems and roughly chop them.
4. Wash, zest and then juice the lemon.
5. Wash, remove any stems and roughly dice the tomatoes.
6. Place the cooked pasta and reheated chickpeas into a large mixing bowl.
7. Add the parsley, lemon juice and zest (use as much or as little as you like), tomatoes, garlic paste (again, as much as you prefer!) and the oil into the bowl. Toss to combine and coat. Taste and season it with some salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
8. Serve warm.