Prep & Cooking Time: 75mins
This recipe was adapted from: BBC Foods
Notes: This recipe contains: Vitamin A, B-Vitamins, Vitamins C & K, protein, fibre, potassium, iron, calcium and (per serving) is low in saturated fats!
This is a wonderful ‘winter salad’ recipe containing: squash, lentils and a spicy dressing to help warm you on a cold winter’s day! It’s also very versatile and easy to prepare.
Quick Foodie Facts:
- Lentils are a stable in many diets, particularly South Asian. They are a great, versatile and cheap source of: B-Vitamins, carbohydrate, protein, fibre, iron, potassium and are naturally low in fats! These little lovelies should be incorporated into everyone’s diet- vegan or otherwise.
- This is a high fibre meal that (per serving) contains approximately 3.5 servings of fruit/veggies towards your 5-A-Day! 🙂
Open and drain the tofu. Place it between two heavy chopping boards for about 30 mins to remove any excess water.
Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Line two baking trays with some parchment paper; lightly spray it some low-fat cooking oil.
Wash, peel, trim the ends, de-seed and chop the squash into bite-sized pieces.
Place it onto one of the baking trays. Spray with some low-fat cooking oil. Sprinkle over the thyme. Place onto the top oven shelf. Roast for 40-45 mins or until tender. Remove. Allow to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, drain and chop the tofu into small cubes. Place it onto the other baking tray. Lightly spray it with some low-fat cooking oil. Place it onto the middle oven shelf. Bake for 30 mins or until lightly golden and slightly crisp around the edges. Remove. Allow to cool slightly.
In the meantime, place a large, non-stick saucepan with some cold water over a medium heat. Add the lentils. Cook them according to the packet instructions. Drain. Allow to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, wash and dry the rocket. Wash, trim the ends and finely slice the onion. Wash, remove the stem and dice the tomatoes. Drain off any excess oil and then finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Peel and dice the garlic. Wash, trim the ends, de-seed (unless you prefer dishes with a little more heat!) and then dice the chilli.
Place a small, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the seeds. Lightly toast. Remove from the heat. Place into a small dish.
1. In the meantime, prepare the dressing. Place the garlic, chilli, oil, both of the vinegars, soya (or tamari) sauce and the syrup into a mixing jug. Whisk to combine.
2. Place the rocket into a large mixing or salad bowl.
3. Add the squash.
4. Add the tofu.
5. Add the lentils, onions, all of the tomatoes and the seeds. Pour over the dressing.
6. Gently toss together.
Serve warm. Transfer the salad into a large lipped plate or serving bowl and garnish with the sesame seeds.
Refrigerate any leftovers in a resealable and air-tight container; consume within 3-5 days.
- Instead of sesame seeds try some: pumpkin, chia or flax seeds or some nuts (maybe walnut, flaked almonds or pine).
- Swap the rocket for: spinach, swiss chard or lightly steamed kale.
- Use some sweet potatoes instead of squash.
- Swap the tomatoes for roasted red bell pepper.
- If you are not vegan, swap the tofu for some low-fat cheese.