Prep & Cooking Time: 40 mins
Notes: This recipe contains: B-Vitamins, Vitamin C, protein, fibre, iron, potassium and is also low in fat!
This time of year can make it hard for us to resist our ‘stodgy’ food cravings…so let’s try and create healthier options for ourselves! Potatoes are not ‘fatty’ by nature, it’s the ‘toppings’, the cooking processes and the quantities we choose to eat them in that can make them destined to cause weight gain.
As an experiment, we took a potato and sprayed it with some low-fat cooking oil…and yes, we were pleasantly surprised! The result- a lovely, crispy chip that was still fluffy on the inside!
Chips under 250 calories and low in fat- what more can you ask for?!
Happy cooking everyone! 🙂
220g Baking potato
‘1 kcal’ Fry Spray (low-fat cooking oil)
1. Heat the oven to 230°C (450°C). Line a baking tray with a silicone mat or some parchment paper. Lightly spray it with low-fat cooking oil. Spread to coat.
2. Wash and then chop the potato into strips. Place the strips into a large mixing bowl. Spray with low-fat cooking oil. Season with rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Mix to coat.
3. Place them onto the baking tray, leaving ample room between each piece. Tip: if you overcrowd vegetables in the oven, they will steam instead of ‘roast’; this will result in a batch of slightly soggy/soft chips.
4. Place the tray into the oven. Bake for 25-35 mins, or until lightly browned and ‘crispy’ (as much as desired). Turn once during cooking; respray with some oil before returning the tray to the oven.
5. Remove. Allow them to cool slightly before serving.
6. Enjoy as they are or serve with a little dijon mustard, or home-made tomato (low-sugar/salt) ‘ketchup’!
- Try using different herbs and/or spices to create your perfect chip!